Skip to main content

Flight, Love and a Birthday Wish

Summer time and the living is easy,
Fish are jumping and the cotton is high,
Your mama is rich and your Daddy's good looking (this is dad's version)
So hush now baby,
Don't you cry.

One of these mornings,
You're gonna rise up singing,
You’re gonna spread your wings and you'll take to the sky.
But until that morning,
There ain't nothing can harm you,

With your daddy and your mammy standing by.

This was my all-time favorite lullaby.  Sung in dad's gravely voice it carried me to sleep with visions of flight.

By the time I was four I knew that my mammy and daddy weren't gonna keep standing by.  So I did what any rational four year old would do, I made up my mind to fly.  I asked Dad about it and he answered, "You can do anything you want if you believe in yourself enough kid."  

Well okay then.

Our house sat atop a steep hill with a concrete drive, sloping like the metal slides that once populated playgrounds before they were replaced with the slow moving variety designed to safely bore children to tears.  I began at the top and ran down as fast as my little legs would carry me before leaping wildly into the air.  The pavement was unforgiving but I wasn’t taught to be soft.  I was taught to get up.  I stood, blood dripping from knees and elbows and walked back to the top to start again.  This went on for days.  My dad even invited a few of his friends over to watch his “crazy kid” run pell-mell down the driveway in pursuit of lift-off while they drank beers and laughed. Dad dubbed me Bird and the name stuck. Eventually I accepted defeat, not because I couldn’t fly, but because I couldn’t believe in myself hard enough to take to the sky.  Divorce happened and I hadn't produced the miracle to stop it.

Today, November 25th, would be my Dad's 89th birthday.  

In thinking of him I was struck by how little we really know the people in our lives and how frequently we relate to our ideas of them instead.  

For the bulk of my life I viewed my dad with the stunted capacity of a little girl hungry for affection.  It wasn't until very recently that I began to see him as a man I loved but didn't really know.  

And I'm okay with that.  

It's how this humaning seems to work.  Life is far too wide and individual experience too varied to truly know anyone.  Of course the mind rebels and projects its imagined others outward, relating to them accordingly.  But what a waste of time.  Not knowing opens a door to curiosity, discovery and an open-handed love.  

Today I'm missing my dad, not because I knew him but because I wanted desperately to be known by him.  That recognition is in itself a gift.  It allows me to see the human condition more clearly and respond with gentleness to myself and others.  

We all want to be known and loved. We intuit that an open-handed love will soften the wounds at our center, untangling the isolated and contracted projections, reactions, defenses and judgements that lead to our suffering.  But seeking this love in others is a bit like trying to stop a divorce by learning to fly.  It's a displaced effort to ease our suffering.  When we pause, however briefly, in our continued attempts to reconcile the unknowns, we glimpse the intrinsic beauty and basic goodness at the core of everything, whether we know it or not.


I have no idea what happens after we shuffle off this mortal coil.  I'm mostly okay with that. But as Dave Lloyd's daughter, I am sending a "Glad you came to Earth" shout out across the ethers to the man that was my father.  I love you Dad, open-handed and heart forward.
For those of you who might want more, here are a few posts written about Dad over the years:

Dad's Advice On Love for me and On Love in general...
And On Fear.

Here are a few posts over the years:
2008 Visit
Father Day 2008
Another visit with dad  and Farewell 2009
2011 Stroke
2012 Visit

Comments

Photographer said…
Your words continue to astonish, provoke, comfort and inspire.
Angelina, thank you for again enlarging me when I needed it.

Dex
Angelina Lloyd said…
Thank you Dex. You continue to be the best cheer section I know of❤️

Popular posts from this blog

grief

Grief is defined as a deep or intense sorrow. I have been thinking a lot about grief, about it's wide and sticky reach, about the watery quality of it's absorption and the agonizing effort of swimming to shore. Intense sorrow happens. It is a part of life. Yet we press against it. We try to eradicate it. How? We encapsulate our grief in a story, thus effectively removing us from the immediacy of the pain. The mind promises salvation and begins to tell a story, over and over and over. We listen to the inner ramblings, the constant diatribe, the neurotic attempt to avoid the experience. When someone is hurting we listen to their story, we talk about it, we recount our own story, but we certainly don't jump in the waters of sadness, instead we sit on the bank of our familiar longing. Once, when I was floundering in deep grief, my youngest brother knelt next to me and held me for over an hour. He didn't speak. He didn't commiserate. He just jumped in the

a story recently shared by a friend

 Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others, including Love. One day it was announced to the feelings that island would sink, so all constructed boats and left. Except for Love. Love was the only one who stayed. Love wanted to hold out until the last possible moment. When the island had almost sunk, Love decided to ask for help. Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said, "Richness, can you take me with you?" Richness answered, "No, I can't. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat. There is no place here for you." Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in a beautiful vessel. "Vanity, please help me!" "I can't help you, Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat," Vanity answered. Sadness was close by so Love asked, "Sadness, let me go with you." "Oh . . . Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself

Inosculation

I learned a new word today!  Imagine my joy to discover "inosculation", to taste the word for the first time, rolling it around the soft interior of my mouth before speaking it aloud with a shiver of delight.   I am a lover of trees, not metaphorically but literally.  I linger beneath their branches. I tear up beside their solid beauty and revel in the rough, steady touch of bark beneath a wide sky.  I love learning anything new about my beloveds and today I discovered inosculation , which literally means to unite intimately. Sometimes trees grow so close to each other that they rub up against one another.  The friction of bark on bark wears away at the hard outer layers, revealing a tender, vulnerable, embryonic layer of life.  If they stay in contact through the friction they will join together, uniting into a third thing....  a tree union.  In such cases the trees share their life force with one another.  I can think of no more perfect metaphor for beloved companions.   Th